Today’s question is about drone laws for hobby pilots. Can a hobby pilot fly without prior FAA permission in an area with “No Drone” signs? In the worst case scenario, can he simply get away by begging forgiveness?
Our caller, Vikram has come up with a question that many of you must be wondering about. With the passage of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act, there are stricter Do’s and Don’ts in place for hobby pilots. Vikram is wondering if these strict laws have any teeth to them. Is the FAA likely to take him to task for flying in areas like state fairs with “No Drone” signs?
Tune in and listen to Paul and Rob discuss Vikram’s quandary. This show is full of some real world insights that you are sure to appreciate greatly. We share Tips, Tricks and Resources that can help you skillfully deal with any confrontations while you are out flying. Thanks to Vikram for the great question. Fly Safe!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Drone U partners with Pix4D to offer an intensive Accident Scene Reconstruction Training at the NTSB Training Academy in Ashburn, VA from Dec 4-7. Click HERE to learn more!
Become a Drone U Member. Try us out for 14 days and access our 34 courses, including Part 107 training, plus our amazing community for $1.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – http://amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – http://amzn.to/2omQatT
Check out our forthcoming Mapping Classes – http://bit.ly/DroneMappingClasses
- [01:09] Will the passage of the FAA Reauthorization Act 2018 benefit hobby pilots and the drone industry?
- [04:36] Learn about our cool sponsor, Fortress UAV
- [06:35] Today’s question is about hobby pilots navigating drone laws
- [07:31] Is it easier to ask for forgiveness instead of permission?
- [08:52] Can trade fairs inhibit you from taking off from their property?
- [09:15] Can a hobbyist continue to fly in areas with “No Drone” signs?
- [10:11] Paul cites the example of the New Mexico State Fair which falls in Class C airspace; can a hobbyist fly here?
- [11:37] Can a state fair get a TFR to prevent drone pilots from flying?
- [12:13] Do you need to ask for permission if you are attempting to fly from a private property?
- [12:31] Learn how the Legal Flyer App can help you get permission to take off and land from a private property
- [12:44] Can an hobbyist fly in controlled airspace without prior FAA approval?
- [12:58] Can you take off and land if you are not in controlled airspace?
- [13:28] Will state fair authorities take you to task if you are flying in areas with”No Drone” signs?
- [15:16] Drone U Resources that can help you deal with potential confrontations
- [16:07] Ways via which drone pilots can display authority and squash opposition from the get go