Our biggest story this week is about drone remote ID. Regular DU followers might recall that FAA’s NPRM attracted more than 50,000 comments from concerned industry stakeholders. However, it seems that the FAA is planning to go ahead with a restrictive drone remote ID as planned. In his talk at the Commercial UAV Expo, FAA’s Steve Dickson shared how FAA plans to introduce drone remote ID by the end of 2020.
Our next story is about flying drones in NYC. As you might be aware, an old avigation law makes it illegal to fly drones in NYC. Because of this, building inspections are still done using the traditional method where construction workers use scaffolding to access areas at higher elevations. Needless to say this is both dangerous and costly. As per the latest update, a new study has been initiated which might make flying drones in NYC a possibility in the near future.
Other topics discussed in today’s show include DIY ADS-B receivers, drone search and rescue, and DJI Mavic Mini crash with a helicopter.
Whether you are just getting started or looking to increase your revenue stream, our drone service providers are ready to help you achieve your most ambitious goals. Check out all our classes for 2020 by going here – http://bit.ly/mapclass2020
Recently crashed your drone? Unable to find trained technicians who can repair your drone quickly and at a reasonable rate? Don’t fret. The cool folks at Fortress UAV can help you get your drone back up in the air in as little as 7 days! Use Promo Code “DroneU” to get 25% off. Drone U Members get an extra 5% off on total repair costs. Check them out now!
Get Your Biggest and Most Common Drone Certificate Questions Answered by Downloading this FREE Part 107 PDF
Make sure to get yourself the all-new Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is to subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us real quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Become a Drone U Member. Access to over 30 courses, great resources, and our incredible community.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [01:25] Important points from FAA’s Steve Dickson’s talk at the Commercial UAV Expo
- [02:22] Is drone safety a concern? What do past statistics indicate?
- [02:57] Has archaic legislation prevented the drone delivery industry from taking off?
- [03:17] Is the FAA doing its bit when it comes to using drones for children’s education?
- [03:57] FAA to go ahead with restrictive drone remote-id by the end of 2020?
- [09:03] Will remote-id result in non-compliance and hence endanger airspace safety?
- [14:00] Is a lack of representation within the FAA hurting the small drone service provider?
- [16:30] YouTuber Bruce Simpson a.k.a. XJet builds a handheld ADS-B receiver
- [19:27] 2019 stats show how much safer drones are compared to manned aircraft
- [22:03] Are large corporations influencing drone legislation in a big way?
- [23:42] Study explores the feasibility of using drones for building facade inspections in NYC
- [27:49] Innovative Drone search and rescue tactics deployed to find a 3-year old in Western Australia
- [31:50] DJI Mavic Mini blown away by a helicopter’s prop wash in Grand Rapids, Michigan