Today’s question comes from Jonathan, a drone pilot and aspiring advocate working in Yonkers. He wants to know if it is legal to fly his drone over a group of people if he has their consent. We talk about the FAA’s regulations around flying over crowds and discuss how obtaining a waiver can allow you to do so.
Additionally, Paul reads a short passage from page 274 of our Drone Pilot Field Kit:
”The term ‘directly participating’ refers to specific personnel that the remote pilot in command has deemed to be involved with the flight operation of the small unmanned aircraft. These include the remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the controls of the small UAS (if other than the remote pilot in command), and the visual observer. These personnel also include any person who is necessary for the safety of the small UAS flight operation. For example, if a small UAS operation employs a person whose duties are to maintain a perimeter to ensure that other people do not enter the area of operation, that person would be considered a direct participant in the flight operation of the small UAS. Anyone else would not be considered a direct participant in the small UAS operation.” Fly safe everyone!
Download your FREE copy of our Drone Pilot Field Kit by clicking here.
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [02:05] Today’s question is about whether it is legal to fly over people if you have their consent
- [03:17] Discussing the legalities and FAA regulations around flying over crowds
- [04:21] What do various organizations such as NBAA, State Farm Bureaus, American Insurance association, and FLIR systems feel about the regulations surrounding flying UAS over consenting crowds or people?
- [06:15] Defining the term “directly participating” as laid out in the Drone Pilot Field kit
- [09:18] Does the FAA consider consent as a mitigation of risk to allow drone operations over people?
- [11:50] What does the FAA say about flying your drone over stationary cars?
- [13:50] Can you fly your drone over your people if you have a waiver?