Andy Luten is the drone pilot and travel blogger who petitioned the FAA for information about their investigation of YouTuber Casey Neistat. We were lucky enough to sit down and chat with him about his inquiry into the details of Neistat’s case. He talks with Paul about what he learned from the FAA’s information and speaks about the importance of responsible drone pilots. Thanks for the interview, Andy! Fly safe everyone!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
Get Access to Andy’s travel blog – //andystravelblog.com/
- [00:23] Paul gives some background information regarding the FAA investigation about Casey Neistat
- [01:14] Andy Luten logs on to Ask Drone U
- [01:35] Andy Luten tells listeners about YouTuber Casey Neistat and his reputation of “pushing the boundaries”
- [02:52] Andy talks about Casey Neistat’s casual attitude towards Part 107 laws
- [04:59] Did Casey Neistat know that he was flying in controlled airspace, and not flying as per FAA regulations?
- [05:33] Why are you obligated to fly responsibly as a drone pilot?
- [08:36] Did Casey Neistat call and get permission to fly in controlled airspace?
- [09:17] What did Andy Luten find out from the freedom of information request?
- [09:42] Can any individual file a freedom of information request?
- [11:53] What information did Andy Luten receive from the complaints that were filed against Casey Neistat?
- [13:03] How can you protect yourself against nefarious competitors?
- [17:43] How did FAA react to complaints against Casey Neistat?
- [18:35] Is there strong proof of Casey Neistat flying in controlled airspace?
- [24:11] Discussing pros and cons of FAA’s approach to regulating Part 107 laws from a macro and micro perspective
- [26:28] Should you risk flying your drone in controlled airspace? What is the worst case scenario?
- [32:31] What do you think about FAA’s decision in the Casey Neistat case? How does this affect the drone industry, and what kind of an example does this set?
- [34:56] How can the drone community can watch out for each other and result in a safer airspace?
- [37:28] Will the FAA react strongly in case of a catastrophic drone incident?
- [43:16] How can you build a strong following and a healthy business?