This episode is all about Temporary Flight Restrictions. In case you are unaware, there is a special classification of TFR that prohibits flight during “VIP Movement”. In short, this means that drones are prohibited from flying when the president, a senator or anyone else with a VIP designation is in the area.
Dave and Josh from Nashville called in to clarify whether or not the VIP TFR applied to everyone or only Part 107 drone pilots. In response, we talk a little bit about what constitutes a VIP Movement restriction and who they apply to. Additionally, we discuss TFR waivers and how you can apply for one.
A list of current TFRs is maintained at tfr.faa.gov.
Thanks for the question, guys! Fly safe!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [01:36] Today’s question is about the applicability of VIP TFR’s over Part 107 pilots
- [02:25] When were unmanned aircraft placed under temporary restrictions?
- [03:09] Is it possible to fly in case a VIP is visiting your town?
- [03:47] Is there a way to get around a TFR and fly your drone?
- [04:35] Learn the importance of building a relationship with the local flight office
- [06:32] Which is the best place to check TFR’s?
- [07:50] Should you check TFR’s every time before your fly?
- [08:50] Which are some the Drone U recommended preflight checklist apps?