Drone Crash | How To Avoid Getting into Vortex Ring State
Today’s question is about getting your drone into a vortex ring state and crashing your drone. As drone technology becomes more and more sophisticated, do you need to worry about getting into a vortex ring state at all?
Our caller for today, Sean is a regular ADU listener and has listened to us talk about the dangers of getting your drone into a vortex ring state many times in the past. Now, Sean flies a Mavic 2 Pro, and he is wondering if the risk of getting into a vortex ring state is signficantly reduced for pilots like him who fly a small drone.
Great question, Sean. To best answer this question, we first get to the basics and reveal some little-known variables that can cause a drone to get into vortex ring state.
However, were you to get into this situation, how can you avoid a drone crash? Will using some specific props or flying over water significantly increase the risk of getting into a vortex ring state? Can increasing elevation help you prevent a drone crash in this situation? For all this and much more, tune in to our latest show now!
Whether you are just getting started or looking to increase your revenue stream, our drone service providers are ready to help you achieve your most ambitious goals. Check out all our classes for 2020 by going here – http://bit.ly/mapclass2020
Recently crashed your drone? Unable to find trained technicians who can repair your drone quickly and at a reasonable rate? Don’t fret. The cool folks at Fortress UAV can help you get your drone back up in the air in as little as 7 days! Use Promo Code “DroneU” to get 25% off. Drone U Members get an extra 5% off on total repair costs. Check them out now!
Get Your Biggest and Most Common Drone Certificate Questions Answered by Downloading this FREE Part 107 PDF
Make sure to get yourself the all-new Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is to subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us real quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Become a Drone U Member. Access to over 30 courses, great resources, and our incredible community.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [02:50] Learn the nuances of drone mapping by signing up for our 12-session university-style classes
- [05:56] Today’s question is about the different reasons that cause a drone to go into vortex ring state, and how you can prevent it
- [07:35] What are the different variables that can cause your drone to go into vortex ring state?
- [08:00] Has more sophisticated drone technology significantly reduced the possibility of a drone crash?
- [08:53] Can elevating your drone help if you get into vortex ring state?
- [10:05] Paul explains how cantered drone motors help prevent a drone crash
- [11:43] What is the ONE thing that can help you avoid a drone crash when your drone is in vortex ring state?
- [13:35] Why is Paul not a huge fan of landing protection on DJI drones?
- [16:20] Does flying over water greatly increase the possibility of a crash?
- [17:05] How a strong foundation can help you become a significantly better drone pilot