Today’s show is about flying drones in National Parks.
Back in January, US Filmmaker Gordon Price sued U.S. Attorney General William Barr. The contentious issue was the fees that Gordon had to pay to shoot in a National Park. The outcome of this case left many in the drone industry confused, and wondering if they can or cannot fly in National Parks with the right permits.
On today’s show, we break down the outcome of this civil court case to reveal what it means for the drone industry. You will learn whether or not this court ruling has reversed the June 2014 memo which prohibited drones from flying in National Parks. In addition to drone photography and videography, we also reveal the impact of this case outcome on still photography and videography.
- Some of the other questions that we answer on this show:
- Does this new court ruling affect both Part 107 and recreational pilots?
- Can drone pilots fly in the wilderness area?
- What is “low-impact” filming? Is low-impact filming permissible in National Parks?
Get Your Biggest and Most Common Drone Certificate Questions Answered by Downloading this FREE Part 107 PDF
Make sure to get yourself the all-new Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is to subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us real quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Become a Drone U Member. Access to over 30 courses, great resources, and our incredible community.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [03:35]Can you film in national parks with a photography permit?
- [05:10]Join us for our 3D interactive modeling class
- [08:25]Today’s question is about flying drones in national parks
- [09:29]Price vs. Barr – Filmmaker sues the government over “unconstitutional” permit fees
- [10:10]As per the guidance released by the NPS on Feb 22, filming activities are allowed if you have a permit
- [12:27]How does this court ruling impact drone pilots and ground photographers?
- [14:30]Do drones fall under the low-impact filming category? What impact does this ruling have on drone pilots?
- [16:43]Does this new ruling reverse the June 2014 memo which prohibited drone pilots from flying in National Parks?
- [19:20]Understanding the “low impact filming” category and all related exceptions; do drones fall in the “low-impact” category?
- [24:40]What about tethered drones? Can you fly tethered drones over National Parks?
- [27:55]Can drone pilots legally fly in the wilderness areas?
- [30:30]Does this new ruling permit videographers to fly in National Parks while prohibiting still photographers/
- [32:00]Can you fly your drone over National Parks as long as you take off and land from non-NPS land?