Today we talk to Bruce, a recent recipient of his Part 107 license looking to get into the drone business full-time. Bruce asks about legality and safety of flying drones over streets, houses and events. We outline the FAA regulations on flying over traffic and people along with some tips on how to fly safely as a professional drone pilot.
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
- [01:14] Today’s question about flying over people and houses
- [02:33] Is it legal to fly over real estate while shooting drone footage?
- [02:57] Can a drone pilot shoot weddings and real estate without flying over people?
- [03:28] Accessing the FAA drone pilot field kit that contains information about flying over people
- [04:32] Paul reads out an excerpt from the drone field kit which clarifies FAA stance about flying over people
- [06:00] Clarifications about FAA Flight-Over-People Rule
- [07:17] Is it legal to fly within 500 feet of a structure using a MPTOM (Motion Picture and Television Flight Operation Manual) and under FAA section 333?
- [08:15] State Farm Bureaus and American Farm Bureau voice their opinion about flying UAS over people
- [09:15] An overview of the new FAA rule about flying over people
- [10:50] What were the results of the drone safety test at Virginia Tech?
- [12:54] Why is attaching a GoPro to your drone in the corner of your operating sight a good idea?