Today’s episode is about airspace authorizations and waivers. Todd in Cleveland asked us to clarify the difference between the two. Filing for an authorization will grant you certain access to airspace while obtaining a waiver means something else entirely, so we do our best to outline the differences. Additionally, we talk about the future of authorizations and how the process might look in the future.
More information on airspace authorizations and waivers is available in our How To Apply for an Airspace Authorization(UPDATED 2017) video.
Thanks for the question, Todd! Fly safe!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [02:46] Today we discuss the differences between waivers and airspace authorizations
- [03:49] Check out our YouTube video on how to apply for airspace authorizations and waivers
- [04:12] Is there any particular reason for getting airspace authorizations longer than 6 months?
- [04:38] Paul discusses the possibility of the FAA coming up with a better system to allocate authorizations
- [05:14] Is it viable to apply for airspace waiver in the current conditions?
- [05:57] Understanding the basic and main difference between authorization and waiver
- [07:08] Will access to UAS facility maps be useful?
- [07:26] What flying height should you apply for in your airspace authorization?
- [08:08] Paul questions if FAA’s decision to prevent flight in controlled airspace is correct
- [09:02] Questioning the rationale behind using helicopters and planes for capturing video from a safety point of view
- [09:53] Can manned aircraft pilots who have switched to flying drones help in promoting safety?
- [12:33] Learn how you can access the Drone U document with all the information pertaining to filling out your airspace authorization
- [13:45] What is a fair price to use someone else’s airspace authorization?
- [14:42] Paul provides some information about the forthcoming classes and the Drone U Elite training