On today’s episode, we talk about making (and spending) money when starting a drone mapping business. Ryan, a recent Part 107 recipient, calls in to ask us a few questions about the drone mapping business. Can you make money mapping? Does the drone mapping business cost a lot to get started in? Can you compete in the drone industry if you don’t offer multispectral or hyperspectral LIDAR imaging services?
First, we talk about the cost of the equipment you’ll need to get into the mapping industry. While tools like LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) sensors are quite expensive, they can be extremely valuable to clients across many industries.
Next, we discuss the practical applications of equipment like LIDAR sensors. For those of you who are planning to invest in mapping sensors for your business, we make some recommendations about the best stuff to buy.
Thanks for the question, Ryan! Congrats on the Part 107! Fly safe!
If you need stock footage for your drone videos, make sure to check out Videoblocks.
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [04:19] Today’s question is about the commercial viability of drone mapping business
- [05:12] What kind of investment are you looking at if you are planning on venturing into the drone mapping business?
- [05:43] Discussing the significant capabilities and varied applications of Lidar sensor
- [06:15] How much can you potentially charge in the drone mapping business?
- [06:40] Which is a recommended fixed wing drone ideal for drone mapping?
- [06:56] Understanding the functioning of multi spectral sensors and their various applications
- [08:07] Learn why the end to end solution offered by Precision Hawk renders it apt for agriculture, mining or oil discovery
- [10:02] Understanding the functioning of hyperspectral sensors and how you can look up a “needle in the haystack” using this technology
- [12:09] What are some considerations that you need to bear in mind while selecting a drone for offshore oil exploration?
- [13:00] Understanding the various benefits of using Lidar sensors in driver-less cars over stereoscopic sensors
- [13:32] Learn how you can use the RP Lidar sensor with your drone