Today, we talk about mapping and modeling a one-thousand acre property. Adrian calls in with a few questions about a drone job he’s been hired for. In addition to how much he should charge, Adrian wants to know what the best equipment for a modeling job this size would be. Also, he asks for tips on completing the job successfully.
In this case, the equipment, pricing and best practices all depend on what the landscape looks like. Depending on whether the property is covered in trees or contains buildings, Adrian will have to use different equipment. He may be using lidar, photogrammetry or some combination of the two. Furthermore, the cost and equipment will be determined by the industry Adrian is working in.
Do you have a big drone job and don’t know where to start? This episode might be helpful! Fly safe!
P.S – Our friends at Videoblocks are currently offering a “Triple Bundle” package, which gives you full-access to copyright-free video, audio and images for only $149 per year! Make sure to check them out!
Also, the folks over at Energen are offering a special discount on their amazing portable chargers for all Drone U members. Use one the following promo codes at checkout, depending on which battery you buy, to get a great deal on a killer battery:
Energen A40 Model: DRONEUA40
Energen M10 Model: DRONEU M10
Energen P40 Mode: DRONEU P40
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [04:27] We discuss the recent security issues with DJI products
- [07:00] What are some of the advantages of using LIDAR technology on a mapping mission?
- [09:51] Today’s question is about mapping and modeling a one-thousand acre property
- [10:44] Why should you opt for LIDAR over photogrammetry if your mapping site is covered with dense foliage?
- [11:30] How do you deal with clients who want buildings to appear lifelike in the final deliverable? Can you use LIDAR as well as photogrammetry?
- [12:08] Will using LIDAR result in significant time savings on a mapping mission?
- [13:16] Can you use photogrammetry to map an area of 1,000 acres?
- [14:00] What will be cost of batteries if you attempt to map a large 1,000 acre area?
- [14:26] We discuss why it is not feasible to shoot for longer duration in winter
- [15:24] Will your effort and hence, charge go up if your client demands the final deliverable as an object file?
- [16:15] How much should charge for mapping a 1,000 acre area if you are using LIDAR? What about photogrammetry?
- [17:28] What are the some of the considerations if your mapping mission has an agricultural purpose?
- [17:50] In which instances would a fixed wing drone like PrecisionHawk be a good solution?
- [19:00] Is it better to quote a Package price for a mapping job of such large scale? Is it better than making an itemized quote?
- [19:17] Why is it important to define requirements of your final deliverable before bidding for job? Should you consider offering multiple packages?
- [23:45] We talk about tips and tricks to negotiate with a prospect without offending them
- [25:01] Should you consider opting for a home-built fixed wing drone for a similar large scale mapping job?
- [26:27] We share information about the forthcoming mapping classes on Drone U