Today, we talk about computers for processing maps. After all, you’re going to need a good computer setup if you want to make money as a drone mapper. What type of computer can handle maps and models on Pix4D? How much is it going to cost? Are Pix4D’s recommendations antiquated?
We recently purchased a computer ourselves. We talk a bit about our setup and the amount of money we spent on it. We also discuss the modifications you might consider and what you can expect to pay.
Thanks to Scott for the question. Fly safe!
Also, the folks over at Energen are offering a special discount on their amazing portable chargers for all Drone U members. Use one the following promo codes at checkout, depending on which battery you buy, to get a great deal on a killer battery:
Energen A40 Model: DRONEUA40
Energen M10 Model: DRONEU M10
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [02:41] Today, we talk about computers for processing maps
- [03:52] Paul and Rob discuss the issues that they ran into while purchasing a custom built computer
- [04:31] How much did the new custom built Drone U computer cost?
- [05:40] What are the computer requirements stated on Pix4D website? Are they sufficient?
- [05:48] Discussing the specifications of the custom built computer that Drone U recently purchased
- [06:17] Comparing a contrasting the capabilities of PCLE to a regular SSD
- [06:40] Is it a good idea to opt for old servers with Xenon processors?
- [07:04] Paul suggests a great resource for getting a custom built machine
- [07:21] Is it wise to opt for an AMD processor over an i9 or Xeon processor?
- [07:46] Should you opt for the 1080 Ti Nvidia over the Nvidia Titan?
- [08:26] We share how long point cloud processing takes at Drone U
- [09:06] Being cognizant of the heat generated in custom built systems; should you rather opt for a water cooled system?
- [10:47] Can you run maps and processes on a Mac while using Pix4D?