Today’s episode is about the Internaional LiDAR and Mapping Forum. Drone U Chief Pilot Paul Aitken headed off to Texas to have a look at the latest innovations in LiDAR. He is joined by Josh Baker from Texas. Paul and Josh discuss their takeaways from this conference.
We talk about how aerial LiDAR is gaining in popularity over terrestrial LiDAR. However, there are certain factors that are hindering the rapid adoption of this technology. Is it really viable to commission multiple Visual Observers while working on large tracts of land? What about the huge barrier to entry? Are there any technological advancements that will lead to cost reductions and hence, wider access? How does LiDAR compare to photogrammetry in terms of accuracy and ease of use? Tune in to hear Paul and Josh discuss all of this and much more. Fly Safe!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [00:58] Discussing how aerial LiDAR assets are gaining prominence over terrestrial assets
- [01:55] We discuss how maintaining visual line of sight is a big hindrance while mapping large tracts of land with LiDAR
- [03:10] Is commissioning multiple visual observers a plausible solution for maintaining visual line of sight?
- [04:11] Why are a lot of non industry folks taking a keen interest in LiDAR?
- [05:10] Are we likely to see any cost reduction and hence, wider access to LiDAR?
- [07:53] How does LiDAR compare to photogrammetry in terms of accuracy and ease of use?