Today’s episode is about ballistic parachutes and how they just might make flight over people possible. We are joined by Alan Erickson from Indemnis. The Nexus by Indemnis is a UAV recovery system that is designed to exceed future FAA safety standards.
We learn about the origins of Indemnis. What prompted Alan and his co-founders to start Indemnis? What are the various issues that they ran into while designing Nexus? And how did they manage to tackle them? Is this ballistic parachute scalable to larger drones?
This risk mitigation product needs a 100% success rate so that safety of people on ground is not compromised. How is Indemnis ensuring that? Learn about the exhaustive testing and engineering standard that was developed in close collaboration with industry majors. Will you need any other accompanying accessories? We finally wrap up this very interesting episode by discussing pricing and a potential launch date. Tune in to this very special Drone U episode. Fly Safe!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [00:25] Paul introduces Alan from Indemnis
- [01:00] Learn what led Alan and his co-founders to start Indemnis
- [01:53] Alan discusses the high failure rate that he experienced with current safety systems
- [02:45] Learn how the construction of Nexus, a ballistic solution leads to a 100% success rate
- [05:28] Is the Nexus scalable to larger drones?
- [05:56] Will the Nexus lead to flight over people waivers?
- [07:40] Learn about the extensive research and development backing Indemnis
- [10:04] Do you need any other accessories to go along with the Nexus?
- [12:46] When can we expect FAA to come out with their new guidelines?
- [13:21] Learn how Indemnis ensures a 100% success rate
- [14:21] Will you need to undergo training in order to obtain a flight over people waiver?
- [15:25] Does the Nexus have a minimum deployable altitude?
- [17:07] How will you integrate the Nexus to your drone?
- [18:48] Alan updates listeners on pricing and a potential launch date
- [20:42] Alan shares his contact information