Best and Most Efficient Workflow for Creating a Navigable 3D Real Estate Model for Interiors and Exteriors
Today’s question is about creating 3D models for real estate interiors AND exteriors.
Our caller for today, Luke is a project manager who restores old buildings. He owns a Phantom 4 Pro V2 that he wants to use for drone mapping and modeling. However, due to the nature of his work, Luke wants to map real estate interiors as well as exteriors. Additionally, he also wishes to use his drone maps for making measurements. What is the best way forward for Luke?
In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, the use of 3D drone maps as a real estate marketing tool has simply gone through the roof. With lockdown and social distancing in effect, prospective buyers are reluctant to step out for a property walkthrough. This has created an amazing business opportunity for drone pilots who are aware of the nuances of drone mapping and modeling.
But, while you can capture real estate exteriors using a drone, what is the best and most efficient way of capturing real estate interiors? And, how can you integrate an interior map with an exterior map to build an interactive model? Paul suggests a great hack that can save you thousands of dollars. This show will be particularly interesting to those who are looking for some money-making opportunities in these trying times. Tune in now!
Recently crashed your drone? Unable to find trained technicians who can repair your drone quickly and at a reasonable rate? Don’t fret. The cool folks at Fortress UAV can help you get your drone back up in the air in as little as 7 days! Use Promo Code “DroneU” to get 25% off. Drone U Members get an extra 5% off on total repair costs. Check them out now!
Make sure to get yourself the all-new Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is to subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us real quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Become a Drone U Member. Access to over 30 courses, great resources, and our incredible community.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [01:43] – Check out our webinars and online classes
- [04:35] – Today’s question is about 3D interior mapping and modeling
- [06:48] – Which is the best software for mapping real estate interiors?
- [07:15] – Can you use Pix4D for mapping real estate interiors?
- [08:27] – Can Luke use Pix4DModel? Or does he need to step up to Pix4D Mapper?
- [10:45] – Can you get measurements off a mesh?
- [10:59] – Can you build an accurate drone map/model by using scale constraints and not GCP’s?
- [11:37] – Paul showcases a 3D model of a Santa Fe house
- [12:28] – How to use a 360 degree camera for building an interior model that integrates with an exterior model
- [14:47] – Is the Matterport camera prohibitively expensive?
- [16:33] – Can you build a visually appealing model by merging two points clouds so that you can inspect building components?
- [22:03] – How can Drone U help you build accurate drone maps and models?
- [23:10] – What is the best wake your share your drone model with realtors and clients
- [25:03] – Can you view a 3D model on your phone?
- [26:07] – Amazing business opportunity for drone pilots in the wake of the coronavirus
- [27:15] – Do you need ground control points if you just building a visual model?
- [30:55] – How to integrate exterior and interior models