Another tempting thing for pilots to do is fly at night. Again, it’s not allowed, unless you have a COA or COW to do so. Today we welcome Tom Kilpatrick to the show to talk about how you can go about getting this clearance. Here’s a link to the video they discuss in this episode: https://vimeo.com/184992238?ref=em-share. Thanks for joining us, and fly safe!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
Tell us what you think of the our show. We listen and tweak often. So please leave a review on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Download the Periscope app and watch our “pre-show” about 5 minutes before the live podcast (@THEdroneU).
The night time coa and cow can be found on the DroneU Community page on Facebook.
Watch Ask Drone U live by visiting our Facebook page (link below).
Site – https://www.thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [0:30] Tom Kilpatrick’s introduction
- [1:23] Work on the CoA
- [1:50] Was the CoA applied for 333 or 107?
- [2:31] Height restriction on Tom’s CoA
- [2:50] When did Tom apply for the CoA
- [3:44] Specific things that Tom viewed in CoA application
- [4:48] What things does Tom do differently operation-wise for night operations
- [5:15] What lighting do you use while flying at night
- [7:18] Lighting system that Tom uses for night operations
- [7:57] What specs for lighting for the drone?
- [9:02] Using lume cubes for anti collision lights
- [11:17] Other points Tom would like to share with our listeners
- [13:58] Closing points from Tom and tips to fly at night