Today’s question is from Kurt, who is looking to buy the best drone equipment for methane monitoring. We talk about the skills necessary for inspecting pipes and discuss some recent developments in thermal, infrared and hyperspectral imaging technology. Thanks for the question, Kurt! Fly safe!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – http://amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – http://amzn.to/2omQatT
Learn about the Gas Leak study conducted in Abu Dhabi: http://www.flir.com/automation/display/?id=70372
Learn about Raven, the new GE drone: http://www.geglobalresearch.com/news/press-releases/ge-opens-new-oil-gas-rd-center-in-oklahoma-showcases-smart-sensing-drone-advanced-labs-and-emerging-digital-technology
Access all DroneU Courses: https://www.thedroneu.com/courses/
Link to Podcast#608: https://www.thedroneu.com/adu-0608-can-i-fly-my-drone-over-people-if-i-have-their-consent/
- [02:34] Today’s topic is about detecting methane gas leaks using thermal imaging cameras
- [03:35] Is it permissible to fly your drone over people? You can watch Podcast#608 again for details on this topic.
- [04:47] Learn about the methane gas is generated, its uses, and why it is difficult to detect
- [05:16] Can methane leaks be accurately detected using thermal cameras?
- [05:48] Learn about the operation and accuracy of infrared cameras. Alternatively you can access our drone thermology course on the courses page for detailed information on this subject.
- [06:50] Overview of a methane inspection study carried out in Abu Dhabi using the Flir G 300A camera on a Y6 Hexacopter.
- [07:20] What will the cost of a camera that will detect methane?
- [07:43] Learn about GE’s new smart sensing drone, Raven
- [08:11] How are the business prospects for methane inspections in New Mexico?
- [08:40] Learn about the “optimal infrared hyperspectral imaging” camera developed in Sweden.