What happens if you get verbal permission to fly, but not a signed property release? For instance, say that a property owner is happy to let you fly around their land and shoot aerial photos. Upon reviewing the photos later, however, you shot some real gems and you might want to sell them. Can you go back to the owner and ask them to sign a property release? Furthermore, what if you never got permission from them in the first place? What if you took off from the street, got photos of someone’s property and want to sell those images?
Today, we get a question from Desi about this very problem. She wants to know what she can or cannot sell. Specifically, she asks us to address national parks, private property and property releases.
In order to answer Desi’s questions, we talk about the FAA’s laws around national parks, private property and property releases. We discuss how to obtain signed contract from property owners. Additionally, we discuss photographer’s rights and why it’s okay to take photos from public places.
Lastly, we encourage you to check out the Drone Pilot Field Kit. It’s filled with valuable information about copyright, property releases and photographer’s rights.
Thanks for the question Desi! Fly safe!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – http://amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – http://amzn.to/2omQatT
Download the LEGAL FLYER APP – https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/legal-flyer/id917432598?mt=8
- [01:43] Today we discuss whether or not it is necessary to get a signed property release
- [04:12] Can you sell your drone footage without getting owner permission? When is it necessary to get permission?
- [04:58] Which App can you use to get permission to take off, land from and film on a private property?
- [05:09] Is it alright to shoot on the basis of verbal permission?
- [06:06] How should you go about getting a property release?
- [07:04] Would you end up owning copyright for footage of a public property?
- [08:51] Are non-US citizens likely to get into trouble for filming critical infrastructure?
- [11:00] Is it okay to take-off and land outside a national park but fly over it? Can you sell national park footage?