Is flying drones for a non-profit a “commercial” job? Usually, we don’t think of non-profits as commercial businesses. While non-profits like churches don’t technically make money, do you need a Part 107 to work for them?
Today, we talk to Paul in Arkansas about this very question. Paul holds a Part 107 license and wants to know if this will help him get a drone job working with non-profits. Should he be advocating for the benefits of hiring a licensed pilot? Furthermore, should he warn non-profits about the danger of hiring non-licensed pilots?
In order to answer Paul’s question, we discuss why it is vital for non-profits to work only with Part 107 pilots. After all, non-profits do generate money. However, the FAA sees non-profits differently. Even if that money isn’t “profit”, they can still get in trouble for working with non-licensed pilots. In short, the answer to Paul’s question is, “Yes, non-profits should only be hiring licensed drone pilots”.
If you’re a drone pilot interested in working with non-profits, don’t miss this episode! Congratulations on the Part 107 Paul! Fly safe!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
Also, don’t forget to pick up a Drone U landing pad!
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [02:11] Today we discuss whether non profits need Part 107 certified pilots
- [03:55] Paul explains why non-profits are actually working for “furtherance of business”, and explains why they would need Part 107 certified pilots
- [05:51] Are clients who hire illegal drone pilots likely to get into trouble with the FAA?
- [07:08] Does FAA keep a record of drone operators caught flying without a Part 107 license?
- [08:29] Paul talks about FAA’s efforts with regards to speeding up the authorization process
- [08:37] Paul urges everyone to fill out the FAA survey about the troubles that drone operators are facing with the authorization process