Today, we talk about AeroScope, DJI’s new tracking software.
In case you haven’t heart, AeroScope is a system that allows government agencies to keep track of drones flying in a certain area. As Paul posted last week on Facebook:
DJI announced a new system that will allow law enforcement to track and identify drones, even in areas without cellular service or wifi. The system even works beyond DJI drones. It also works with any drone that operates over a WIFI based protocol. This system showcases telemetry information from the drone, the pilot’s information and location in addition to the flight path. The goal is to make our skies safer while increasing communication between manned aircraft and UAVs.
In addition, DJI will be changing the geo-fencing system on their drones to provide more access, as well as, including quizzes that pilots must take before they fly. These quizzes will ensure that pilots understand the rules of flight.
Understandably, many members of our community were upset by the announcement. After all, most of us have already passed the Part 107 test. Why should we have to take another series of quizzes in order to fly?
In reality, however, AeroScope has many positive implications for the drone community. It has the potential to promote responsibility and maintain accountability among drone pilots. Because the quizzes are pretty simple, too, it could potentially keep newbie pilots from doing anything dangerous with their drone.
We want to know what you all think. Is DJI overreaching? Leave us a message with your thoughts!
Don’t forget, Videoblocks has plenty of stock footage and royalty-free music to help you optimize your drone videos!
Also, head over to Colorado Drone Chargers. Their quadchargers are perfect for any flight mission!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [01:15] Today we will be talking about DJI’s new tracking software, AeroScope
- [04:14] We share details about the DJI policy meeting in Washington DC
- [05:09] We discuss why adding a quiz to the DJI firmware upgrade is such a great idea
- [08:19] Paul shares information about the upcoming FAA enforcements
- [09:51] What are the capabilities of Aeroscope?
- [11:43] We discuss why stating the intention of flight is a great feature that makes monitoring drones easier
- [13:09 ] Are there chances of your privacy being compromised due to the introduction of Aerospace?
- [14:41] We discuss why the “License plate system” is an apt name for AeroSpace
- [17:14] What are some of the limitations of Aerospace?
- [18:34] How does Aerospace dissuade illegal operators?
- [19:36] Will the introduction of AeroSpace discourage federalism in drone law?
- [22:13 ]We discuss some important issues that, if resolved will help the commercial operator do better work
- [23:54] Will your flying range be limited if you do not go for a firmware upgrade? Find out out how you can eliminate the error message by using a Crystal sight monitor