As you may have heard, the Low Altitude Authorization & Notification Capability (LAANC) is now live! By and large, the drone community has been waiting for a faster way to obtain airspace authorization. Finally, LAANC has brought it to us!
In the past, airspace authorization has been one of the biggest problems facing drone pilots. Professional pilots and drone business owners have missed out on valuable opportunities due to the slow process of applying for authorization. Some pilots have passed on potential paydays, while others have flown illegally (and irresponsibly) just to make ends meet. Luckily, LAANC is proposing to put those days behind us.
Basically, LAANC is a system that enables pilots to request and receive authorization in less than two minutes. Currently, it is offered through a significant number of airports, including Miami Dade, Phoenix and San Jose, among others. The system is accessible through two vendors: Airmap and Skyward.io. In the near future, we expect to see more airports and vendors joining the LAANC network.
When can we expect more airports to join LAANC? Tune in to find out! Fly safe!
Today’s episode is brought to you by our friends at Colorado Drone Chargers! If you’re looking for a quadcharger, head on over to their site and use the promo code “droneu8” to receive a special discount!
Also, make sure to check out Videoblocks! They have all of the stock footage and copyright-free music you need to make killer drone videos!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [01:03] Today we will be talking about Low Altitude Authorization & Notification Capability (LAANC), a better and faster way of obtaining airspace authorizations
- [03:37] Which airports and regions are currently offering LAANC?
- [04:40] Which vendors are offering LAANC?
- [05:34] What does it cost to obtain LAANC from Skywards?
- [06:06] Paul walks us thorough the SKywards website and shows us how to obtain LAANC
- [07:23] Which data points are listed on the notice of authorization?
- [08:14] Is it a good idea to keep a digital or paper copy of your notice of authorization?
- [08:59] What is the significance of LAANC? We discuss how this service will dissuade illegal operators
- [10:22] Are there chances of there being an error with UASFM maps? What should you do if you run into an issue?