Today, we discuss which apps can help you monitor airspace and follow FAA’s rules. Mitch called in to ask for our recommendations.
As you may know, there are plenty of apps out there that allow you to monitor the airspace in your area. For example, ForeFlight makes it easy to see which flights are happening in the airspace above you at the moment. FlightRadar shows the air traffic in your area, as well. In addition, the new Aeroscope firmware upgrade will enable you to see air traffic in your area when you’re connected to the internet.
However, it is important to remember that the most important thing to do when monitoring the airspace around you is to always check tfr.faa.gov. This website will keep track of all updates concerning airspace restrictions such as TFRs and No-Fly Zones.
Because Mitch also asked about maintaining privacy, we talk about some apps and features that can help you fly “off-the-radar”, so to speak.
Thanks for the question, Mitch! Fly safe!
If you’re looking for high-quality stock footage or music to help polish your drone videos, check out Videoblocks!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [02:56] Today’s question revolves around apps that we can use to monitor airspace
- [06:26] Can you always trust data provided in apps? Why is it important to do your due diligence before flight?
- [07:44] We discuss some of the capabilities of ForeFlight
- [08:10] Discussing the capabilities of the apps, FlightRadar and Aerospace
- [08:26] We discuss the issue of data privacy, and how you can mitigate some of these issues
- [09:14] Is it worth investing in the DJI Crystal Sky monitor?