Today’s episode is about 3D imaging. We talk to Paul, a drone entrepreneur in Arkansas, who wants to know how much pilots are making through mapping and modeling. In his words:
I see a lot about Pix4D, DroneDeploy and what-have you. I’m wondering what people are doing out there, if anything, and how much they’re charging.
Great question, Paul! But yes, there are plenty of pilots out there making a good amount of money doing 3D imaging, mapping and modeling with drones. From progression reports for construction companies and 3D models for real estate to mapping film sets and volumetric measurements, there are plenty of opportunities out there for the right pilots.
Of course, 3D imaging requires a fair amount of training and a potentially costly investment. Depending on what field you want to work in, mapping and modeling equipment can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. At the same time, however, there are still plenty of opportunities to get your feet wet in the field of 3D imagery.
Keep your eye out for our intermediate modeling class! It’s on the way! Fly safe!
We hope you enjoy the episode! Fly safe!
Also, the folks over at Energen are offering a special discount on their amazing portable chargers for all Drone U members. Use one the following promo codes at checkout, depending on which battery you buy, to get a great deal on a killer battery:
Energen A40 Model: DRONEUA40
Energen M10 Model: DRONEU M10
Energen P40 Mode: DRONEU P40
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [03:35] Paul shares some details of the forthcoming Drone U classes
- [05:16] Today’s question is about 3D imaging
- [07:26] What are some of the applications of 3D models?
- [08:52] What is the difference between photogrammetry and LIDAR?
- [10:04] We explain why LIDAR is better suited for government work
- [11:00] What is a drawback of using LIDAR?
- [12:04] What is the cost of a drone equipped with LIDAR technology?
- [13:04] How much can you potentially make with a LIDAR drone unit?
- [14:32] We discuss some of the possible applications and wide potential for photogrammetry units
- [18:40] Should you opt for desktop processing over cloud processing for your mapping data?
- [19:44] We explain why packaged pricing is always better than itemized pricing