What do I need to know about RTK?
Today, we talk about using Real Time Kinematics, otherwise known as RTK. Can you do away with GCP’s if you are using RTK drone mapping?
Because Mike has heard us mention RTK a few times, he from California to ask for some information. Specifically, he wants to know if he can use RTK instead of having to lay out Ground Control Points (GCP).
In order to help Mike, we go pretty deep into the details both RTK and GCP. Because drone pilots in the construction industry work heavily with both of these technologies, we think that this episode should be extremely useful.
Thanks for the question Mike! Fly safe!
P.S – Our friends at Videoblocks are currently offering a “Triple Bundle” package, which gives you full-access to copyright-free video, audio and images for only $149 per year! Make sure to check them out!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [00:55]Paul and Rob share information about the new Drone U courses
- [01:49] Today, we talk about RTK drone mapping
- [06:20] Defining Ground Control Points (GCP) and listing their benefits
- [07:13] Will RTK drone mapping result in more accurate data?
- [07:52] Discussing how using Ground Control Points result in more accurate elevation data
- [09:53] What is the the drawback using Trimble GPS data?
- [10:04] What is the cost of drone props?
- [10:54] We discuss how you can do progression modeling and build a time lapse model
- [11:41] Learn how the Litchi App can come handy while on a mapping mission
- [13:47] Is the Yuneec 520 better suited for creating hyper lapse models compared to the Phantom?
- [14:44] Is the Yuneec 520 better at processing JPEG images?
- [15:23] Is the Phantom 4 Pro better suited for mapping compared to the Phantom 4 Advanced?