In today’s very special episode, Paul is joined by the famous Chris Voss, former FBI negotiator and author of “Never Split the Difference:Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It“. Chris draws from his decades long experience to share some awesome negotiation strategies that you can apply to your business, relationships and life, in general.
Paul picks Chris’s brain to learn the various Tips and Tricks that will help YOU become a master negotiator. Do folks with a quest to learn more and more have a greater chance of mastering negotiation strategies? Is it okay to bring emotions into your negotiation strategy? And, should you treat negotiations as a game? Some folks look at negotiations as malicious and are averse to it. What advice does Chris have for these folks?
Are you someone looking to embrace the drone life? Or, maybe you are a mom planning on restarting your career after a long hiatus. Listening to Chris’s negotiating mantras will instill you with confidence and optimism and spring you into action. Tune in now. Fly Safe!
The 2018 Drone U Fly-in is your opportunity to build community, get inspired and fly better. Get practical, hands-on flight instruction from industry’s best. Limited spots available. Reserve now!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [00:22] Introduction and background of guest
- [01:20] Tracing Chris’s life journey
- [01:54] Discussing the importance of life-long learning and openness
- [02:26] Learn about a creative test which can help you determine if a person has a high degree of openness
- [04:30] The 3 default types of people according to Chris Voss
- [05:31] Can you become a master negotiator if you do not have a high degree of openness?
- [05:55] How a high degree of emotional intelligence can help you become a better negotiator
- [06:33] Chris elaborates on negotiation strategies used by FBI
- [07:18] Learn how Chris ended up as the only FBI agent ever to take up the course on negotiation in Harvard Law School
- [07:53] Negotiating strategies that Chris employed while dealing with his boss who attempted to prevent him from going to Harvard Law School
- [10:48] Discussing the bearing of negotiation on success
- [13:03] Is it okay to treat negotiation as a game?
- [13:36] Should you bring emotions into your negotiations?
- [16:24] Discussing the tendency of people to treat negotiations as nefarious
- [17:11] The dark side of emotional intelligence; should you be wary of people with extremely high emotional intelligence?
- [18:20] What are calibrated questions, and how are they important for negotiations?
- [21:50] Do negotiation strategies work only on a particular generation?
- [22:41] Do millennial’s have a high degree of emotional intelligence?
- [25:36] Should you employ a different negotiating strategy for dealing with millennial’s who have less experience in dealing with people?
- [27:15] Discussing the current trend where women representation is becoming larger and larger
- [28:14] Paul shares how he saved 22 grand on his Ford Expedition using Chris’s negotiation strategies!
- [28:47] Using calibrated questions to positively affect negotiations
- [30:41] What is the likelihood of folks reacting negatively to calibrated questions?
- [32:29] What happens when you push someone to an absolute limit in a negotiation?
- [34:09] Chris shares an important negotiating mantra – A bad deal is worse than a no deal
- [35:40] Discussing the importance of empathy in a negotiation. Is empathy more important than even assertion?
- [36:00] How do you practice for best results in negotiation?
- [38:07] How can you learn more about Chris’s tactics?