In today’s episode, we discuss systems and processes that can help make search and rescue missions with drones more efficient. PJ KirkPatrick from Terra Vigilis joins Paul on this extremely informative episode.
PJ recently undertook a search and recovery mission. But unfortunately, he was unable to find the missing person. What did PJ learn from this mission? What are the various things that can go wrong on a SAR mission? Is there a better way to conduct search and rescue? PJ shares some great information and some new ideas that will help increase the success rate of a search and rescue mission.
We discuss a new scanning software that can potentially reduce the total time for a search and rescue operation from hours to minutes. Tune in to learn more. Fly Safe!
The 2018 Drone U Fly-in is your opportunity to build community, get inspired and fly better. Get practical, hands-on flight instruction from industry’s best. Use Promo Code “LASTCHANCE” to get $100 off on EACH course. Limited spots available. Reserve now!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [00:24] Paul introduces PJ KirkPatrick from Terra Vigilis
- [00:35] Discussing how a Search and Rescue mission going wrong highlighted the need for proper protocols
- [02:26] PJ shares information about his Search and Rescue (SAR) mission
- [03:00] Learn why PJ could not use thermal cameras on his SAR mission
- [04:28] Learn how PJ zeroed in on the search area for his SAR mission
- [06:25] At what elevation did PJ fly for this Search and Rescue mission?
- [07:56] PJ rolls out various statistics pertaining to his SAR mission; learn about area covered, images captured and total time in the air
- [08:31] PJ shares a simulation of his mission images
- [08:51] What challenge did PJ face while manually reviewing images?
- [10:32] PJ highlights the importance of collaborating with local law enforcement officials
- [11:07] Did PJ end up finding the person? Where was the individual finally located?
- [11:46] Key takeaways from PJ’s Search and Rescue mission
- [12:30] Highlighting the huge responsibility that comes with taking on a Search and Rescue mission
- [12:56] We speculate if there are better ways to conduct a Search and Rescue mission
- [15:00] Learn how PJ managed to locate a software capable of scanning and recognizing individual color profiles; can PJ’s find significantly bring down the total search and rescue time?
- [20:01] PJ shares how he has been testing the capabilities of this new software
- [20:30] Which drone is ideal for Search and Rescue missions?
- [21:53] PJ shares his contact information