Today, we talk about mapping apps and data platforms. Which one is the best?
With so many data platforms out there, how do you choose the right one for you? DroneDeploy, Pix4D, Maps Made Easy and PrecisionHawk all have their upsides and downsides, but which one is going to suit the needs of your drone business?
In order to help you choose the best data platform for drone mapping, we take a call from Rob. Rob is in the process of becoming a full-time drone pilot. He wants to get into drone inspections, agricultural mapping and other fields. While there are a number of mapping apps for him to pick from, each has benefits in terms of cost and mapping capability.
When choosing a mapping app, remember that your deliverables are as important as your mapping skills. The ability to deliver useful, actionable maps is the key to running a successful drone business. As a result, you’ll want to choose a mapping app that enables you to deliver aerial maps can really use. Which data platform is the best for delivering aerial maps? Listen to find out!
Thanks for the question Rob! Fly safe!
Today’s episode is sponsored by Colorado Drone Chargers. When heading out on mapping missions, you’ll want to stay fully charged. These guys have the quad chargers you need! Use the promo code “droneu8” at checkout to receive a special discount.
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [02:52] Today we talk about mapping apps and data platforms
- [04:05] What are the pros and cons of using PrecisionHawk?
- [04:28] Can you map large areas through Pix4D capture?
- [05:13] What are some of the alternatives to PrecisionHawk for mapping missions?
- [05:40] Which data platforms can you use for cross hatching missions?
- [06:13] What are the benefits of using Yuneec Typhoon H520 and its DataPilot software over Pix4Dcapture? Find out why the resulting JPEG imagery is of superior quality
- [07:13] We talk about the benefits of using DroneDeploy for doing NDVI. Find out why DroneDeploy scores over Pix4D as far as client deliverables are concerned
- [08:55] Is Maps Made Easy a good alternative to Pix4D capture?
- [09:41] Why is PrecisionHawk the best solution if you are catering to high level clients?
- [11:00] Is the Yuneec Typhoon H520 a better alternative to Phantom Pro for mapping missions?
- [12:07 ] We discuss SiteScan and its perimeter scan function for oblique and orbit imagery. Can you use Ground Station Pro’s orbit mode and vertical mode instead?