Today, we talk about freelancing. As the cost of benefits goes up and permanent positions become more scarce, many people find themselves working on their own. This can be a great way for drone pilots to make a living, particularly when travel is involved.
When working in fields like public safety, however, freelance drone pilots may be required to show up at the drop of a hat. When it comes to emergencies, after all, time is of the essence. How do you price your drone services when working as an on-call freelancer? Do you charge by the hour? A day-rate?
This is a great episode for anyone currently or thinking about working as a freelancer. We discuss how to price your services as well as how to make sure you have the equipment necessary to make it on your own. There are plenty of opportunities out there! Fly safe!
Also, the folks over at Energen are offering a special discount on their amazing portable chargers for all Drone U members. Use one the following promo codes at checkout, depending on which battery you buy, to get a great deal on a killer battery:
Energen A40 Model: DRONEUA40
Energen M10 Model: DRONEU M10
Energen P40 Mode: DRONEU P40
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [01:29] We talk about the rising trend of freelancing and the expertise that you need to build to succeed
- [03:17] Is it becoming more expensive to hire people and provide benefits?
- [05:38] We talk about the different challenges that come with retirement
- [10:50] Today’s question is about freelancing
- [11:30] Can you consider freelancing for the fire department?
- [13:07] What kind of gear will you need if you wish to take up freelance drone jobs?
- [14:17] Is it valuable to have a radiometric thermal camera if you wish to work for the fire department?
- [14:51] Would live feed be important for public safety officers? We share how you can set it up
- [16:08] Is it advisable to use Lume cubes with the Mavic?
- [16:40] Is the Matrice 210 with thermal and zoom camera a good solution for high level federal jobs?
- [18:30] Can you drop an object from a drone?