It is possible to scan large areas with great speed using LiDAR. Because it is mandatory to maintain visual line of sight, using LiDAR is an expensive and inefficient proposition. How will opening up of Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS) resolve this issue? We also discuss how giant corporations like FLIR and BNSF managed to obtain BVLOS waivers. Are these case studies relevant to the rest of the industry?
We also discuss how FAA is impeding commerce by not granting BVLOS waivers. Is FAA’s stance a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act? How can simpler rules benefit solo drone operators? Check out Paul’s article where he has discussed these issues at great length. Stay tuned and fly safe!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
Learn about our In-Person Mapping Course in Houston – //bit.ly/HoustonMapping
- [01:48] Paul states today’s agenda
- [02:11] How does LiDAR compare to photogrammetry?
- [02:34] What is a drawback of using LiDAR for creating models?
- [04:26] Can you map large tracts of land using LiDAR?
- [05:18] How does the the line of sight issue impede the use of LiDAR?
- [05:56] Discussing how BVLOS is impeding commerce
- [06:35] How did FLIR and BNSF manage to get BVLOS waivers?
- [06:56] Is it practical to daisy chain multiple Visual Observers (VO’s) while mapping a large tract of land?
- [08:19] We talk about FLIR and BNSF getting BVLOS waivers; learn why these examples are not representative of the larger drone industry
- [11:28] Is there a specific system for granting BVLOS and other complex waivers?
- [12:30] How many BVLOS waivers have been given out by FAA?
- [13:40] Discussing the need to open up BVLOS in order to encourage small businesses
- [14:11] Is FAA violating the Sherman Act by not granting BVLOS waivers?
- [15:37] Can FAA’s reluctance to grant a BVLOS waiver result in a small business folding up?