Today’s episode is about 2018 FAA UAS Symposium. Drone U Chief Pilot Paul Aitken headed off to Baltimore to attend this conference. Paul talks about the various issues that were discussed at the Symposium. Section 336, Remote ID’s, BVLOS waivers, Univeral Traffic Management (UTM) and Complex Waivers are some of the important topics that we touch upon in today’s episode.
In Episode 747, we discussed how enforcement actions by the FAA against illegal drone operators are almost non existent. Is the FAA looking for ways to conduct enforcement actions? Will the FAA consider changing Section 336 to make enforcement actions easier against hobbyists?
We also talk about Remote ID’s. Because you can know who, want and where something is flying, this technology might pave the way for granting complex waivers such as BVLOS and flying at night. Can we expect Remote ID’s to become a law anytime soon? Universal Traffic Management (UTM) is another topic that we delve into. Will the introduction of UTM lead to safer skies? Another glaring fact was the lack of representation for the small business owner at the UAS Symposium. Check out Paul’s article where he goes into all these issues in great detail. Stay tuned and fly safe!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
Learn about our In-Person Mapping Course in Houston – //bit.ly/HoustonMapping
- [00:30] Today Paul will be sharing his takeaways from the 2018 FAA UAS Symposium
- [01:53] Will the FAA come up with stricter enforcement’s?
- [02:38] Is the Section 336 resulting in lax compliance? Will FAA change Section 336?
- [03:52] Will the introduction of Remote ID’s benefit the drone industry?
- [04:57] How many complex waivers have been given out by the FAA?
- [05:41] Can the introduction of Remote ID’s result in more complex waivers being given out?
- [06:50] Will the introduction of UTM (Universal Traffic Management) result in safer skies?
- [08:21] How have large commercial entities like CNN and BNSF managed to get complex waivers?
- [09:51] Is your DJI drone equipped with Remote ID?
- [12:35] Which are some of the tracking systems via which you can track Remote ID’s?
- [14:40] Is it right on FAA’s part to get feedback from giant corporations?
- [15:49] Discussing the need for a small business panel at the next FAA UAS Symposium