Drone U Chief Pilot, Paul Aitken recently headed off to Denver, Colorado to attend AUVSI Xponential 2018. In today’s episode he is joined by Angad Singh from Pix4D to discuss best practices in drone mapping. Paul and Angad talk about Pix4D’s wide ranging capabilities. They provide some expert tips for accurately integrating drones and photogrammetry into your workflow.
How can you produce accurate drone mapping data for crime scene reconstruction and NDVI mapping? How do you generate the ultimate and most beautiful 3D model using photogrammetry? Can you really produce a good mapping model in windy conditions?
We also talk at length about camera sensors. Learn how the resolution and focal length of your sensor can impact your image quality. We wrap up this informative episode by talking about using drones in agriculture. Why should you always use a radiometrically calibrated sensor for NDVI mapping? Can drones really help address the global problem or food security? Tune in to this very special episode of Ask Drone U. Fly Safe!
The 2018 Drone U Fly-in is your opportunity to build community, get inspired and fly better. Get practical, hands-on flight instruction from industry’s best. Limited spots available. Reserve now!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [00:22] Paul introduces Angad Singh from Pix4D; Angad helps integrate drones and photogrammetry into your workflow
- [01:57] Can you achieve survey grade data using Pix4D?
- [03:00] Discussing the importance of intimately understanding how Pix4D works
- [04:06] Angad talks about the different industries that he works with
- [05:08] Top 3 industries that are benefiting from drone technology
- [05:36] Tips and tricks for using drone mapping in crime scene reconstruction
- [08:25] The challenges of turning a 3 dimensional earth surface in 2 dimensional flatland
- [09:26] We talk about the immense capabilities of Pix4D
- [13:33] How does the focal length of the sensor affect the accuracy of your maps?
- [15:02] Why should you never zoom in or out while doing accident reconstruction?
- [15:44] How can the ground sampling distance impact the accuracy of your data-set?
- [16:38] How does the resolution and focal length of the sensor affect image quality?
- [17:41] How can you get the best possible resolution with a DJI Phantom 4 Pro? Learn how you can achieve a 1 cm Pixel size by processing data in Pix4D
- [19:40] Will using different templates for processing data from Nadir, cross hatch and orbit missions result in greater accuracy?
- [20:06] How to produce a visually appealing 3 D model using photogrammetry
- [22:13] Can you produce good mapping data in windy conditions?
- [24:36] Angad discusses the various nuances of NDVI mapping
- [25:38] What is radiometric calibration? We talk about the important of using the right sensor and producing data that is radiometrically calibrated
- [27:01] How can drones help address the critical issue of food security?
- [28:39] Learn how the ability of using the Pix4Dag deliverable across different platforms renders it truly beneficial
- [30:50] What is the difference between a linear rolling shutter and global shutter? Can using a linear rolling shutter cause disruptions to your content?
- [33:43] Angad shares his contact information