In today’s episode we discuss how Remote ID will impact the drone industry. Vic is joined by Kenji Sughara, a UAS policy expert. Will Remote ID be introduced anytime soon? Which technology will Remote ID work on? Will this lead to any data security and privacy issues?
Kenji shares details of the Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) which has made this proposal. Were there any major disagreements among ARC members while formulating this proposal? Will the introduction of Remote ID lead to real time tracking of drones? Kenji also discusses the importance of coming up with a cheap, yet easy solution.
When the Notice for Rulemaking Proposal (NPRM) drops, you shall definitely hear about it from us. Vic provides some great suggestions via which you can constructively affect the decision making process. Fly Safe!
The 2018 Drone U Fly-in is your opportunity to build community, get inspired and fly better. Get practical, hands-on flight instruction from industry’s best. Limited spots available. Reserve now!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [00:53] Discussing the origins of Remote ID; how did Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) end up getting involved in this issue?
- [02:19] Is the importance of Remote ID lost on people? Can Remote ID lead to change in public perception?
- [03:45] What is the possibility of Remote ID being introduced in the near future?
- [05:02] Why was the ARC in charge of the Remote ID issue comprised of 70 members?
- [06:01] Were there any major disagreements among ARC members?
- [07:52] Discussing the poor representation of UAV operators in ARC
- [08:57] What are some of the technological challenges in the implementation of Remote ID?
- [10:35 ]Is constant tracking of all drones a possibility?
- [12:08] What were some of the concerns raised by ARC members and UAV operators?
- [13:08] What is the difference between “broadcast only” and “network” technology?
- [14:28] Is real time drone tracking required for security reasons?
- [15:14] Where there any objections with regards to compliance?
- [17:02 ]With the introduction of Remote ID, will data security be an issue?
- [18:57] Discussing the criticality of providing cheap and easy technology
- [19:47] Shall drone tracking information be available to authorized personnel only?
- [22:10] Will the drone industry have a chance to comment and get involved in this important issue?
- [23:09] Kenji speculates how Remote ID will turn out
- [25:00] What is the likely date by which the NPRM will be made available?
- [26:30] Vic provides some tips for making constructive comments when the NPRM finally drops