Today’s episode is about using drone mapping for crime scene investigations. We are joined by Neal Carter, an accident re-constructionist. Paul and Neal discuss why drone mapping for accident reconstruction has gained in popularity. Can you get better data with drone mapping? And, is it quicker to use drone mapping?
Paul and Neal go into the nitty gritty of crime scene investigations. Learn how crime scene investigations are researched. What are the various KPI’s that are are looked at while investigating a crime scene? And, what is the consequence of processing mapping data incorrectly? Tune in to find out. Fly Safe!
The 2018 Drone U Fly-in is your opportunity to build community, get inspired and fly better. Get practical, hands-on flight instruction from industry’s best. Limited spots available. Reserve now!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [00:22] Paul introduces Neal Carter to listeners
- [01:03] Neal explains how car scene investigations are conducted
- [01:42] How does Neal collaborate with police officers?
- [02:27] What kind of data is available for reconstructing accidents?
- [03:05 ]What kind of car accidents does Neal deal with? Is drone mapping done for all accidents?
- [04:04 ]How is drone mapping and photogrammetry being used for accident reconstruction?
- [05:31] Can you get better data using a drone? Is drone mapping data comparable to data derived from a 3D laser scanner?
- [06:24] Can drone mapping data provide faster data? What is the turnaround time?
- [07:09] Discussing the criticality of building up your flying skills before venturing into crime scene reconstruction
- [08:13] What are the various KPI’s ? What are the various things that crime scene re-constructionists look at?
- [10:20] What are the consequences of processing data incorrectly?
- [11:17] Neal shares his contact information
- [11:45] Can you learn about accident reconstruction at the Drone U Fly-in?