Today’s question is about using ground control points in UAV mapping. Can you use plywood GCP’s instead of smart GCP’s such as Aeropoints?
Our caller, Kyle was going through our construction mapping course. And, he is wondering if he needs to invest in expensive Ground Control Points such as Aeropoints in order to build an accurate UAV mapping model. In order to answer Kyle’s question, we discuss the different GPS options and their varying capabilities.
Is your GPS data prone to error? How does earth’s topography make it challenging to acquire accurate GPS data? Why is it important to have a proper ground control point system to get accurate UAV mapping data? Tune in to find out. Thanks to Kyle from Vancouver for the question. Fly Safe!
The 2018 Drone U Fly-in is your opportunity to build community, get inspired and fly better. Get practical, hands-on flight instruction from industry’s best. Use Promo Code “LASTCHANCE” to get $100 off on EACH course. Limited spots available. Reserve now!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Also the folks at Schedudrone are offering a special discount just for Drone U listeners. Schedudrone is a great App that will take care of your invoicing, contracts and pricing so that you can FOCUS on your business. Use promo code drone u to get yourself a killer deal (25% off for life!) on a cool product.
Get your questions answered: https://thedroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – https://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – //amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – //amzn.to/2omQatT
- [00:42] Paul shares an important update pertaining to the “Tort Law Relating to Drones Act” proposed by Uniform Law Commission (ULC)
- [02:06] We share details about our sponsor, Schedudrone
- [03:08] Today’s question is about using Ground Control Points (GCP’s) for UAV mapping
- [04:10] Discussing different GPS options and their varying accuracy levels
- [04:35] Learn why earth’s topography makes it challenging to get accurate GPS data
- [05:05] Is GPS data prone to error?
- [05:55] Will you get more accurate UAV mapping data if your GPS unit is higher off the ground?
- [06:27] Is it worth buying a M600 Pro or M210 RTK?