Today, we have the epic luxury of speaking with Nick Martino. Nick is the airport supervisor in Ventura County. In light of DJI’s recent AeroScope announcement, we thought it would be good to speak about the benefits of such software with an airspace professional.
In case you are unaware, AeroScope is a tracking software and geo-fencing system that notifies law enforcement agencies of all drone activity happening within their airspace. It works with all DJI drones as well as those produced by other manufacturers. AeroScope aims to increase communication between manned aircraft and UAVs while creating safer airspace for everyone.
Many pilots, however, are upset by AeroScope’s quiz feature, which asks the user a series of questions before allowing them to fly. On the surface, it may seem like DJI is overreaching. After all, commercial pilots have already taken the required Part 107 test and do not want to be re-tested every they fly.
In reality, though, AeroScope could be a positive tool for the drone community and society at large. Martino outlines some of the benefits that AeroScope offers. In order to illustrate these benefits, he gives use a demonstration and shows exactly how AeroScope works.
We hope you enjoy this episode. Special thanks to Nick Martino for joining us! Fly safe!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [00:23] Today we talk with Nick Martino about the various benefits of using DJI AeroScope
- [00:41] Why is Aerospace a good thing for an airport supervisor?
- [01:26] Can AeroSpace be used to interject another pilot?
- [02:13] Can you communicate with the drone user via Aeroscope?
- [03:12] Vic Moss flies and shows us how Aeroscope works
- [04:32] Getting live flight data from AeroScope
- [05:28] We show how you can get the serial number and email to get in touch with other pilots
- [06:30] How would any agency get in touch with DJI if they are interested in Aeroscope?
- [07:18] Can you take control over a drone using Aeroscope?
- [07:52] Should responsible pilots be fearful of Aeroscope?