Recently, it has become more common for police, firefighters and other public safety agencies to use drones in law enforcement. As a result, we often get questions about drones from folks in law enforcement. Today, we take a call from Kevin, a police officer looking to purchase a drone for his agency.
Police officers should have a good idea of what their drone will be used for before they make any purchases for their department. There are a number of good options, each offering certain benefits to law enforcement agencies.
In order to help Kevin, we talk about some of the ways in which law enforcement might use drones. We discuss the various drones and cameras that might help them to protect and serve. Additionally, we outline the potential costs of purchase drones and outline ways to train and equip a department on a budget.
Good luck Kevin! Fly safe!
P.S – Our friends at Videoblocks are currently offering a “Triple Bundle” package, which gives you full-access to copyright-free video, audio and images for only $149 per year! Make sure to check them out!
Don’t forget to pick up a charger from Colorado Drone Chargers. Those guys make high-quality quadchargers to help you maximize your flight time!
Also, the folks over at Energen are offering a special discount on their amazing batteries for all Drone U members. Use one the following promo codes at checkout, depending on which battery you buy, to get a great deal on a killer battery:
Energen A40 Model: DRONEUA40
Energen M10 Model: DRONEU M10
Energen P40 Mode: DRONEU P40
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [01:30] We share details of the forthcoming Drone U classes
- [05:25] Today we discuss the best drones for law enforcement officers; we also discuss flying in rainy climate
- [06:11 ]Is it possible for law enforcement agencies to get exemptions for their drone purchases?
- [06:42] Should you maintain three miles of visibility while flying?
- [06:57] Can law officers consider getting a COA and flying in conditions with poor visibility?
- [07:25] Is it a good idea to use thermal cameras when faced with poor visibility?
- [08:45] We discuss the benefits of using the DJI M210 with a Z30 or Fleur XT camera
- [09:55] What is a drawback of using the RTK GPS solution?
- [10:49] Things that law enforcement issues need to bear in mind while budgeting for a drone
- [12:02] Is it a good idea to use the Phantom 4 Pro in rainy conditions? What are some of the benefits of using this drone?
- [15:17] We discuss the various pros and cons of using the Yuneec in rainy conditions; we compare this drone to the Phantom 4 Pro
- [18:57 ] Find out how Drone U can help you become a better pilot