Today, we talking about flying your drone above clouds. Can you fly above clouds if you mantain visual line of sight at all times? What does the FAA say about flying above clouds?
It is illegal to start your flight below clouds and then go above them. However, our caller presents a different and interesting scenario. Since he wishes to start his flight from a mountain top, he is always flying above clouds. This enables him to mantain visual line of sight.
Is this legal? Does flying your UAS above clouds pose a greater risk to manned aircraft? We also discuss flight visibility requirements that are applicable in this scenario. We thank our caller for the question. Stay tuned and fly safe!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – http://amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – http://amzn.to/2omQatT
Learn about our In-Person Mapping Course in Houston – http://bit.ly/HoustonMapping
- [01:52] Today we question if you can fly your drone above clouds
- [03:08] Are you likely to endanger manned aircraft if you fly your drone above clouds?
- [04:28] Is it legal to fly above clouds if you cannot maintain visual line of sight?
- [05:34] Can you take off below clouds and then fly above them?
- [06:56] What does FAA say about maintaining flight visibility in Section 107.51 (C)?