Today’s question is about 3D mapping. Do you need to introduce multiple orbits for making an accurate 3D model with your drone? How can you map overhanging structures? What makes Phantom 4 Pro the best drone for UAV mapping?
In our 800th episode, we suggest ways via which you can excel in 3D mapping with your drone. Do you need to introduce multiple orbits while mapping a complex structure? Learn how you can deal with this increased complexity in 3D mapping. We also discuss how you can get survey grade data using photogrammetry.
Next, we talk about the best drones and cameras for UAV mapping. How does the Phantom 4 Pro compare to the Yuneec H520 for UAV mapping? Learn why global shutters can help you achieve greater accuracy in 3D mapping. You will also receive some great tips for processing your data. Can you process vertical image captures with other ones? Tune in to find out. We thank Simon from Norway for the question. Fly Safe!
The 2018 Drone U Fly-in is your opportunity to build community, get inspired and fly better. Get practical, hands-on flight instruction from industry’s best. Limited spots available. Reserve now!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [02:07] Paul thanks all Drone U sponsors
- [06:06] Today’s question is about improving accuracy in 3D drone mapping and modeling
- [07:02] What is the minimum number of orbits that you need to make in 3D mapping? Do you need more orbits while mapping a complex structure?
- [08:16] Expert tips for building accurate 3D maps when you are introducing multiple orbits
- [10:23] Can you get survey grade data with photogrammetry?
- [11:07] Which is the best drone for UAV mapping ? We compare the Phantom 4 Pro and Yuneec H 520
- [12:19] Learn how the focal length on your camera affects the ground sampling distance
- [12:55] Does a global shutter in the Phantom 4 render it better for UAV mapping? We discuss how a linear rolling shutter in the Yuneec H520 affects mapping results
- [14:30] Paul urges everyone to check out the Pix4D podcast
- [14:51] Learn why vertical capture in the Ground Station Pro is far better than Site Scan’s Perimeter scan
- [15:10] Can you merge vertical image capture with other ones?
- [15:21] Which are the best drone cameras for mapping overhanging structures? We discuss why you are better off using the X4S and X5 over the X7
- [16:28] Some common mistakes that UAV pilots make with manual tie points