Today’s episode is about survey grade maps. Can you get survey grade data with your drone? And, how can you get surveyors to sign off on your drone maps?
Our caller, Kyle from Vancouver has a chance to work with an excavation company. He is wondering how he can have a surveyor sign off on his drone maps. In order to do this, Kyle has to create highly accurate survey grade drone maps. We discuss a step by step approach that will help him do just that.
How do you set your Ground Control Points (GCP’s) for producing accurate drone maps? Do you need RTK GPS? And, how do you measure the accuracy of your drone maps? Tune in and learn as we provide various TIPS and TRICKS that will help you partner with a surveyor. Thanks to Kyle from Vancouver for the question. Fly Safe!
The 2018 Drone U Fly-in is your opportunity to build community, get inspired and fly better. Get practical, hands-on flight instruction from industry’s best. Use Promo Code “LASTCHANCE” to get $100 off on EACH course. Limited spots available. Reserve now!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
- [00:48] Do not miss out on the chance of being a part of the Drone U Fly-in
- [01:49] Today’s question is about getting surveyors to sign off on your drone maps
- [02:55] Are laws in Canada and US likely to be different with regards to surveying?
- [03:24] Discussing the different kind of maps that can be generated for surveying
- [04:25] How to set GCP’s for producing highly accurate maps
- [05:33] Do you need RTK GPS in order to get good data?
- [05:50] Do you need a M210 or M600 with RTK GPS in order to get survey grade maps?
- [06:25] Paul shares details about our forthcoming course, “Surveying with Drones”
- [06:43] Do you need to use different acquisition styles for creating an accurate 3D map?
- [07:08] What is the best weather for UAV mapping?
- [07:22] How to scale your map in order to get the highest accuracy
- [08:36] Ways to measure the accuracy of your drone maps
- [10:09] Negotiation strategies that will help a drone pilot convince a surveyor to sign off on a drone map
- [13:05] Things that drone pilots can’t do when it comes to surveying