Today’s show is about pricing strategies in drone mapping. What is the optimum workflow for driving efficiencies and profitability in drone mapping?
Our caller, Mark is elated on the prospect of executing his first mapping project – a 2 acre commercial box store. But at the same time, Mark is unsure how much he should charge for his drone services. In order to help Mark achieve clarity, we touch upon all major aspects like workflow, equipment and expenses.
How does Mark ensure that his client can easily interact with the map/model? And, how can he achieve survey grade accuracy? We discuss how Mark can accurately set GCP’s. And we compare different GPS units to suggest the best option for Mark.
In this show you will learn about the various factors that you need to consider while bidding for a complex mapping project. Whether you are a new to the drone business or an established player, this short episode is loaded with some great nuggets guaranteed to give you the competitive edge. Thanks to Mark for the question. Fly Safe!
Make sure to get yourself a Drone U landing pad!
Recently crashed your drone? Unable to find trained technicians who can repair your drone quickly and at a reasonable rate? Don’t fret. The cool folks at Fortress UAV can help you get your drone back up in the air in as little as 7 days! Use Promo Code “DroneU” to get 10% off. Check them out now!
Get your questions answered: http://askdroneu.com/.
If you enjoy the show, the #1 thing you can do to help us out is subscribe to it on iTunes. Can we ask you to do that for us really quick? While you’re there, leave us a 5-star review, if you’re inclined to do so. Thanks! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-drone-u/id967352832.
Become a Drone U Member. Try us out for 14 days and access over 30 courses, including Part 107 training, plus our amazing community for $1.
Site – http://thedroneu.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/droneu
Instagram – https://instagram.com/thedroneu/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/thedroneu
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/droneu
Get your copy of “Livin’ the Drone Life” – http://amzn.to/2nalUDH
Get your copy of our Part 107 Study Guide – http://amzn.to/2omQatT
Check out our forthcoming Mapping Classes – http://bit.ly/DroneMappingClasses
- [00:18] Learn about our in-person mapping classes
- [01:44] The Drone U Business Course is up on the site – Check it out now!
- [02:53] Today’s question is about drone mapping workflow and pricing strategies
- [03:52] Paul shares quality his experience of working with a the RTK-GPS enabled Leica rover station
- [04:29] Various factors to consider while making a client deliverable
- [04:38] Learn how your client can interact with your maps and models using Pix4D cloud
- [05:34] Can you expect clients to take measurements off your drone model?
- [05:45] How to set GCP’s to arrive at survey grade accuracy
- [06:59] Is it a good idea to remotely connect to a mapping class?
- [07:50] The importance of marking Manual Tie Points (MTP’s) in the correct manner
- [10:11] What are the various expenses that you need to consider while bidding for a complex mapping project?
- [10:35] How do Aeropoints compare to Trimble with regards to ease of use and accuracy?
- [11:42] Are there any issues with using EmLid’s Reach RTK unit?
- [12:01] Learn how net connectivity in Trimble’s GPS unit helps eliminate errors
- [13:02] How much will it cost you to rent a Leica RTK system?
- [13:48] How much should Mark bid for the project?
- [14:37] Worried about crashing your drone? Our newest sponsor, Fortress UAV can help you out
- [16:30] Should Mark charge on an hourly basis or by line item?
- [16:44] How long will it take you to acquire mapping data for a complex project?
- [18:43] Discussing the need to factor in opportunity cost or sunk cost while bidding on a project
- [19:09] Should you try and match the bid of drone jobbing companies like Dronebase and Uplift?
- [20:04] How much should Mark charge? And can he justify this cost?
- [21:08] How long will the point cloud clean up take Mark?
- [22:47] What are the advantages of using a drone survey over a traditional topographic survey?
- [25:01] Does Mark need to provide a detailed justification about his price?
- [26:00] Learn about our upcoming mapping class in Austin, Texas